Saturday, December 20, 2008

Wondrous Strange


I smell a RAT! Does anybody think this sounds like a rip off of Wicked Lovely? Look at the title and the story is about faeries. WTH. As a fan of both the book (Wicked Lovely) and Melissa Marr's I'm disgraced. I might be wrong however so I'll give the book a try but I doubt I'll like it seeing the editorial reviews at Barnes and Nobles weren't so great. I get a strange feeling that this book won't be good but it'll have delusional fans gaining the book attention. Why must all the good books (not including Harry Potter or the Chronicles of Narnia) not get the much deserved attention? I'm not happy 2day as you can tell.

2 comments:

Lesley Livingston said...

Hi Jackie!

My name is Lesley and I am the author of WONDROUS STRANGE. Please don't freak out - I was just alerted to your blog through a google alert!

I just wanted to drop you a quick note and say that I hope you give WS a try - Melissa and I have the same publisher HarperTeen, who also will be publishing several other upcoming books based on Faerie lore - WINGS by Aprilynne Pike and RJ Anderson's KNIFE. I'd like to think it's rather a case of a growing popularity in this kind of story rather than any kind of copy-catting.

Truth be told, I had WONDROUS STRANGE written before I ever read WICKED LOVELY - which I adore, by the way, Melissa is SO talented - and the title itself is a quote from another Faerie tale - Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream, which figures heavily in my plot! As for the cover image, I had no say in the matter, although I was very pleased with the beautiful image that the publisher came up with!

I'd like to think that the market for Faerie books allows for more than just one author's take on this tradition, much the same way that Vampire stories don't begin and end with TWILIGHT.

As I said, I do hope you give WONDROUS a try - I suggest taking it out of the library just in case it does turn out to be not your thing - and please feel free to drop me a line anytime if you have any questions! I can be reached through my website e-mail - just go to www.lesleylivingston.com

Have a happy holiday!
Lesley

Jackie said...

So sorry Lesley. I tend to freak out before I actually think. One of my great flaws, I know. I usually tend to freak for my fav books; for example when Twilight came out I thought it was a Vampire Diary rip off. So sorry again. I'll be sure to read it. For my next blog post I'll make an apology because I feel kind of awful now.